Well, let's see here. Where should I begin? It was a cold afternoon on Thursday when John and I set out on the first vacation that we have had in 3 years. We were going to spend some time in Portland with some friends, John was going to drive home on Sunday and I was going to be able to have some much needed catch-up time with a couple people. The drive Thursday was a piece of cake! Only about 5 or so hours and for the first time ever there was no wind in the gorge along the Columbia River! We checked into the hotel and were given a great upgraded room! Friday was great, we got up, went shopping for a few hours and then went to dinner with Megan and her husband Dave, whom we haven't seen since their wedding in September. It was at dinner that I noticed that I was coughing, a lot and begining to not feel well. Oh well, I thought to myself, I will just take it easy, pump myself full of zicam and should be good to go in a couple days. I took of later in the evening to spend some much needed time with a great friend and realized that this vacation was going great....so far.
Saturday morning I awoke several times to my coughing and coughing, hacking and coughing. Knowing that there was alot that I needed to be doing over the next few days we decided to just lay low. I slept a lot of the day and took several hot baths. Nothing was working, but I just kept on going. It was at that point that we looked on the internet to see that 2 of the 3 ways to get back to Spokane were closed and no one knew when they were going to be re-opened! Wait a minute! John has to drive home tomorrow and I am not exactly sure how that is going to happen now?
Throughout the night I was up and down, coughing, sneezing coughing, hacking etc.... by the time that I decided I couldn't lay down any longer it was 7 am and there I was, checking the road conditions again. Alas, 2 out of the 3 options were still closed and the only way home was to take I-5 north to Tacoma and hop onto I-90 and hope and pray that the Pass would be, well, passable. It was at this moment that my mother called, heard how I sounded and reminded me that I couldn't get my grandfather sick (That was the 2nd part of my vacation, I was going to go down to Phoenix, AZ to visit). It was then that I realized what I needed to do. Obviously it was not my time to go down there and I knew that I needed to help John get back to Spokane.
We set out at 8:30, got some chains for my car and we were on our way. The weather was pretty good the entire time. The Pass was in great shape and the roads seemed to be fine as well.....until Ellensburg. It was at about this time that we got a phone call from our Neighbor, it had snowed 12" at our house!! Needless to say, as we passed about 20 accidents and even one involving a state trooper we arrived in the snowy city of Spokane at 5pm. I began to turn down our road and got stuck. We are not talking about a little stuck and you need someone to help push, but like I needed a snowplow to plow the road in front of me and behind so I could get a running start. After about 20 or trying to make it up the hill, I finally turned into my driveway and.....yep you guessed it, got stuck again. This time I eventualy made it in but not after screwing up my traction control and ABS system on my car. So, isn't that a little ironic, I need to try and get to Saab tomorrow so they can fix my traction control as I was trying to get unstuck.
So, the plan is that I will probably still take a couple days off this week, but not to enjoy it but rather to try and get better. Oh, what a vacation this has been!
Saturday morning I awoke several times to my coughing and coughing, hacking and coughing. Knowing that there was alot that I needed to be doing over the next few days we decided to just lay low. I slept a lot of the day and took several hot baths. Nothing was working, but I just kept on going. It was at that point that we looked on the internet to see that 2 of the 3 ways to get back to Spokane were closed and no one knew when they were going to be re-opened! Wait a minute! John has to drive home tomorrow and I am not exactly sure how that is going to happen now?
Throughout the night I was up and down, coughing, sneezing coughing, hacking etc.... by the time that I decided I couldn't lay down any longer it was 7 am and there I was, checking the road conditions again. Alas, 2 out of the 3 options were still closed and the only way home was to take I-5 north to Tacoma and hop onto I-90 and hope and pray that the Pass would be, well, passable. It was at this moment that my mother called, heard how I sounded and reminded me that I couldn't get my grandfather sick (That was the 2nd part of my vacation, I was going to go down to Phoenix, AZ to visit). It was then that I realized what I needed to do. Obviously it was not my time to go down there and I knew that I needed to help John get back to Spokane.
We set out at 8:30, got some chains for my car and we were on our way. The weather was pretty good the entire time. The Pass was in great shape and the roads seemed to be fine as well.....until Ellensburg. It was at about this time that we got a phone call from our Neighbor, it had snowed 12" at our house!! Needless to say, as we passed about 20 accidents and even one involving a state trooper we arrived in the snowy city of Spokane at 5pm. I began to turn down our road and got stuck. We are not talking about a little stuck and you need someone to help push, but like I needed a snowplow to plow the road in front of me and behind so I could get a running start. After about 20 or trying to make it up the hill, I finally turned into my driveway and.....yep you guessed it, got stuck again. This time I eventualy made it in but not after screwing up my traction control and ABS system on my car. So, isn't that a little ironic, I need to try and get to Saab tomorrow so they can fix my traction control as I was trying to get unstuck.
So, the plan is that I will probably still take a couple days off this week, but not to enjoy it but rather to try and get better. Oh, what a vacation this has been!

No comments:
Post a Comment